Friday, October 1, 2010

Sick and Sick Again

Sorry I haven't updated for a while.
Last week Ryan and I started as Nursery leaders. The next day I got the stomach flu.* Later that week Ava threw up. Then 2 days later she threw up again. Then 2 days later she threw up again. Then I took her to the doctor, because I'm a first time mom. FYI--the stomach flu is raging right now, everyone is getting it. And in kids I guess it can last up to a week (if it lasts longer than 7 days, see a doctor).
Ava's Dr. told us not to give her milk for several more days and just keep her on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). So my poor already skinny baby has now lost at least a pound, probably more. Tomorrow we will try reintroducing more foods, and maybe some soy milk (she seems to be a little sensitive toward regular milk). BTW, has anyone ever tried unpasturized milk for babies that are sensitive? It retains the enzymes that help the milk to digest, so I'm thinking it might be easier for her to take?
Oh yeah, so then Ryan came home from a 4-day convention with a cold, and passed it on to both Ava and I. So we're doubly sick. One of his bike reps told him that this is the first time in 10 years that he hasn't gotten sick at the convention. Seriously? Do these guys just never wash their hands or something? Time to start passing out the hand sanitizer.

In happier news, Ava is up and down the stairs all day long. And she loves bouncing on the bed and couch, and can even get off the couch by herself most of the time. Since she's been sick she's been loving bananas and Pedialite. And I've been loving NyQuil. After trying 4 different sippy cups, I finally found one that she will drink plenty from. Hopefully this means we can wean her off the bottle now (I just read that between 12-15 months is the best time to do that).

*Everyone I know says that when their kids go to nursery they get sick all the time. PLEASE do not bring sick children to nursery. And if you also work in the nursery, PLEASE clean the toys every week! The kids will even help you wipe them down. Unfortunately we have 3 nurseries, and we rotate toys every week, which means all our cleaned toys go to another class the next week and we get all the dirty toys.

1 comment:

Patti said...

I think there were some people in our last ward who drank unpasturized milk. You have to be really careful because it goes bad quickly. I don't think it would be any cheaper than lactaid milk though. Is Ava sensitive to milk? Good luck.